Monday, August 29, 2005

Harry Potter - Half-Blood Prince

Amazing! That was my initial reaction and still is some 3/4 through the latest offering from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter Series. This is no childrens book for sure, maybe for the original teens who have "grown-up" with the series, but this is one dark and mature read. What I find myself thinking through this one is if only all of the series had been written as this one, just how much better they could have been. Not to say the series has been poor, just that for an adult such as myself the syle of this book brings all the elements together quite nicely and makes for one of the most hard-to-put-down Potter books yet.

Dark, tough, gritty, and even some risque content set this one apart. I would question the intended age of the reader for this one, but highly reccomend it. This is one series I don't want to see come to an end, J.K. seems to finally be hitting her stride as a writer... it is just a shame it came so late in the series.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anders said...

It certainly is an excellent book, and I agree with your points about Rowling maturing as an author with this series. Comparing this book to any of the first three Harry Potter books is like comparing apples to oranges. I guess, though, that it also reflects on the change Harry Potter and his friends have gone through, from being kids to young adults growing up in wartime. Very interesting, very well written and definitely not just for kids :).

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a disapointing end to the Harry Potter and the half blood prince. It was truely one of the hardest to put down books I have ever read. I just do not want the series to end. I wish we could see Harry Potter have children and see how they turn out. Dumbledores death made this book more mature and the fact that Harry gave up Ginny was disapointing but I see his point. Truely and awesome book....Two thumbs up!

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home